Arrestling Founder Don Gulla
Sgt Don Gulla combines real world experiences with pressure tested training to provide full spectrum force options. Combining classroom with hands-on training enhances student’s training experience.
PUBLICATIONS (Books, e-Books & DVD)
Arrestling Advanced Weapon Retention and Ground Survival Instructor’s Manuals Arrestling Coach Level DVD
Arrestling Force Operations Training Founder/CEO
2014 – present
National Training Coordinator, Polis-Solutions, Inc.
Polis is a national leader in social science based training, research, and development for law enforcement and other mission critical organizations. Polis is a DOJ funded Training and Technical Assistance provider, supporting evidence based de-escalation training around the United States.
2017 – present
Chief Master Training Coordinator – Next Level Training
Developed Master SIRT Pistol Training Class and Safety Protocol for Academy Instructor
Developed Civilian SIRT Training, NRA SIRT Training, M.A.-F.A.S.T. Maritial Arts- Fire Arms Safety Training
King County Sheriff’s Office – Retired as Sergeant
- 2010 – 2017 Sgt. in charge of King County Crisis Intervention Training Coordinator assigned to Washington State Criminal Justice Training Center
- 1997-2009 King County Sheriff’s Office Full Time SWAT Team Member – 1997 Assigned to the SWAT Team as an Entry Team Member. He is part of the Tactical Training Unit, which is responsible for instructing deputies in Defensive Tactics, Active Shooter, Firearms, and in-service Taser Training.
Basic Law Enforcement Academy Instructor – Criminal Investigations Instructor, Traffic Instructor, Crisis Intervention Instructor and Defensive Tactics Instructor.
- 2015 Developed 4 Modules of training to increase safety for 900 Washington State Dept of Health and Social Services Employees. Modules include Awareness, Social Interactions Tactics, De-escalation Tactics and Self Protection Tactics.
- 2011 Hostage/Crisis Negotiation/Crisis Supervisor. Attended FBI 40 HNT Training.
- 2010 King County Crisis Intervention Training Coordinator – Training to help first responders respond to those in Mental Crisis. MIDD program for all Police Agencies in King County.
- 2003 Assigned to SWAT Security Detail of Gary Ridgeway (Green River Killer), during plea and sentencing.
- 2002 Salt Lake City Olympic Security Detail, assigned to Deer Valley and Park City.
- 1999 One of the primary Riot Team Trainers for the World Trade Organization (WTO) held in Seattle. During the WTO Riots, assigned to a Tactical Response Team responsible for supporting Riot Teams, Dignitary Protection, National Guard Support, and Hostage/Officer Rescue.
- 1990-97 Assigned to Washington State Criminal Justice Training Center.
Police Academy Instructor for Crisis Intervention, Traffic, Criminal Investigation and Defensive Tactics.
- 1996 Atlanta Olympic Security Team, Athens.
- 1990 Goodwill Games Anti-Terrorist Unit.
Green River Community College 1983 -1985
Electronic and Photography Highline Community College
NOTABLE CONTINUING EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
Martial Art and Combatives: In 1968 10 year old Don Gulla started boxing at the Auburn Elks Boxing Club. He quickly learned that hard training, with lots of sweat, paid off in the ring. He went undefeated as an amateur fighter.
This was the beginning of his 50 year journey in martial/combat arts training. He learned about character from Legendary Kent Meridian Wrestling Coach, Dick Pruett and was part the 1975 Washington State High School Championship Team.
Black Belt Hall of Fame, Sensei Doug Graham was his High School Judo Coach. Don was State Judo Champ and Team Captain his senior year and a two time Junior Olympic Gold Medalist. This is when he first learned the importance of realistic training against someone who is really resisting.
While teaching Judo at a local Boys Club, he observed Ed Lewis’s Karate/Kung-Fu class and started training under Ed. He studied the Style of Yao Mun Nomad (New Organization of Martial Art and Defense), which also promoted a new concept of Kick Boxing, or Full Contact Karate. He reached Black Belt rankings in both Karate and Judo. He learned quickly that if you want to prevent injuries, you must train smart.
1979 Began Combat Arnis training with Master Filipino Martial Artist Qui Brocka, who taught him how to combine styles to be more effective.
1981-1984 Competed in Mr. Pacific Coast, Emerald Cup, and Northwest Natural Body Building Championships, placing 2nd.
1984 Hired by the King County Sheriff’s Office.
1985 Washington State TaeKwon-Do Black Belt Grand Champion, Sparring Division.
1985-2002 Competed in the CanAm Police and Fire Games, winning over 20 medals in Powerlifting, Judo, Submission Grappling, Karate, Full Contact Stick Fighting, Track and Field, Pistol Shooting, and Paintball.
1984-2006 Attended Instructor Level Classes conducted by the Washington State Criminal Justice Training Commission, receiving certification as Master Defensive Tactics Instructor, Riot Team Instructor, Advanced Firearms Instructor, and Master Taser Instructor.
1990-1997 Assigned to the Police Academy, teaching Criminal Investigations, Traffic Enforcement, Crisis Intervention, and Defensive Tactics.
1990 The birth of Arrestling. Began morning workouts with fellow Academy Instructor, Rob Bardsley. (See “What’s Arrestling”)
1995 Began training with the Carlson Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Team, working tohis Purple Belt under Professor Marcelo Alonso.
1985-2002 Competed in the World Police and Fire Games, winning 4 Gold Medals, including defeating the Russian Police Karate Team in Sweden, 1999.
1997 Assigned to the SWAT Team as an Entry Team Member. He is part of the Tactical Training Unit, which is responsible for instructing deputies in Defensive Tactics, Active Shooter, Firearms, and in-service Taser Training.
1990 Goodwill Games Anti-Terrorist Unit.
1996 Atlanta Olympic Security Team, Athens.
2002 Salt Lake City Olympic Security Detail, assigned to Deer Valley and Park City.
1999 One of the primary Riot Team Trainers for the World Trade Organization (WTO) held in Seattle. During the WTO Riots, assigned to a Tactical Response Team responsible for supporting Riot Teams, Dignitary Protection, National Guard Support, and Hostage/Officer Rescue.
2003 Assigned to SWAT Security Detail of Gary Ridgeway (Green River Killer), during plea and sentencing.
2006 Promoted to Purple Belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (Carlson Gracie Jr.), under Professor Marcelo Alonso.
Promoted to Coach Level I in Combat Submission Wrestling under Erik Paulson. Promoted to 7th Degree Black Belt (Red/White) Shihanin Kyokushin Budokai Karate under Kaicho Jon Bluming, one of the Best All Around Fighters of All Time.
2007 Selected to teach Defensive Tactics to Russian Police Officers and Omon/SWAT Instructors at the Police Academy in Shakhalin Islands-Yuzhno, Russia
2007 Promoted to Senior Master Instructor. Introduced the new technique called, Angled Drive Stun, improving Taser Cartridge on Drive Stun.
2007 Introduced the First “Arrestling International Mixed Marshal” Fights to help raise over $50,000 for children’s charities. Officers wear Judogis, Gunbelts, Ballistic Vest, and Glock T-17 Simm Guns. UFC meets Real Police Combatives.
2008 Introduced “Dual Weapon Retention and G-W.R.A.P.S.tm” at the 2008 International Law Enforcement Educator Trainers Association (ILEETA) Conference in Chicago.
2009 Technical Advisor for newly formed “Guns & Hoses Police/Fire Submission Grappling League.” Over 20 Police, Fire, and Military Teams.
Don is Coach of TAPNW/Arrestlers, the local Police Submission Grappling League.
Money raised during the matches goes to Police/Fire Charities.
2011 Honored to train 100’s of our Warriors at Bangor Naval Base in G-WRAPS, both Basic and Instructor Level
Don saw the future of Firearms and DT Training in the new SIRT Training Pistol. Developed DT/Firearm SIRT Drills to increase Officer Survival. Flinch Draw was developed by Sgt Gulla to get Officer’s Head out of the way. #1 shot killing Officers and it was taught during “Surviving an Lakewood Style Ambush” at the International Law Enforcement Trainer And Educators (ILEETA) Conference.
Don competed at the 2011 World Police and Fire Games held in New York. Over 18,000 Competitors from 85 Countries. Winning his 5th Gold Medal in Black Belt Karate Fighting Division and 5th Place in the Police Action Pistol Competition.
2013 Don works to provide Crisis Intervention Team Training to First responders to help them deal with those in Crisis. He has developed an Advanced CIT Training Course. These classes Improve Safety for both the Officer and Subject.
2016 Don was inducted into the Marital Arts Hall of Fame for Police Training.
GWRAPS is adopted by Rener Gracie’s Law Enforcement Ground Survival Training Program.
2017 Awarded Northwest CIT Coordinator of the Year
2019 As National Training Director for Polis-Solutions provided T3 – Tact Tactics and Trust Training across United States. $2.1 million DOJ Valor Program. Lead Instructor for T3 User and Train the Trainer Classes. Some agencies we’ve trained include: Philedelphia PD, Newark PD, Memphis PD, Detroit PD, Albuquerque PD, New Orleans PD, Fayetteville PD, Tucson PD, Doral PD, Fort Myers PD, Columbia SC PD, Woodbury MN PD, Washington DC Mass Area Transit Authority PD, Wichita PD, Beaufort SC PD and Michigan City PD.
2019 International Law Enforcement Educators and Trainer’s Association Conf – St Louis MO – Deadly Force Discussion Panel – Panel Member
- Force Science Certification
- Taser Instructor
- Master Taser Instructor
- Senior Master Taser Instructor
- Incident Response to Terrorist Bombing – New Mexico Tech/EMRTC
- CIT International CIT Coordinator Certification
- Mental Health First Aid LE Instructor
- CIT Youth Instructor
- CIT Force Options Instructor
- CIT Corrections Instructor
- Patrol Rifle Instructor
- Patrol Rifle with Optics Instructor
- SWAT, Basic
- Instructor Development, Basic
- Police Paintball Instructor
- Master Defensive Tactics Instructor
- Unarmed Control Tactics Instructor
- Impact Weapons Instructor
- Defensive Tactics for ERT Instructor
- Private Security Firearm’s Instructor
- Unarmed Defensive Tactics, Lev 2, Instr Recert Physical Fitness Technician, Refresher
- Cop Talk
- Critical Incident Survival Instructor
- Race Relations
- Using Positive Discipline
- Counseling and Coaching for Supervisors
- LE First-level Supervision
- SWAT Basic
- Shock Knife Safety Monitor
- United Force Option’s Developer
- V.E.S.T. – Violent Encounter Survival Training Developer
- Gulla’s Weapon Retention and Positional Shooting Developer
- Simunition Instructor
- Side Handle Baton
- Hazardous Material Operations
- Security Firearm’s Instructor Radar Operator Certification
- Breathalyzer Certification
- Infrared Brealhtesting Certification & Refresher (Multiple)
- Preliminary Breath Test., Basic
- Improved Sobriety Testing
- Collision Investigation, Basic
OTHER PROFESSIONAL WORK OF NOTE
ProTraining Mental Health Awareness
This training program stems from a program that was originally developed at the University of Alberta, Department of Psychiatry, to advance the mental health training of police officers. This program proved overwhelmingly successful, showing increases in police mental health awareness, communication, de- escalation and empathy skills as well as an increase in police efficiency and a decrease in number of use-of-force occurrences. https://966.yssecure.com/advisory-board
ILEETA – International Law Enforcement and Trainer’s Association Conferences
IALEFI – International Association of Law Enforcement Firearms Instructors
International Crisis Intervention Team Conferences
ALERRT – Advanced Law Enforcement Rapid Response Training Conference
Master Taser Conferences